Thursday, August 4, 2011

Road Trip 2011: Sandusky/Huron, Ohio

For some reason, I have pretty great food karma.  I like to think it is because I ask so little of food . . . only that it be tasty and fantastic.  And, in return, I spend a lot of time talking about food and singing its praises and only occasionally making sacrifices.   You don’t want to piss off food karma. 

Food karma reminded me that it is looking out for me by placing LEMmy’s Eatery in my path.  While driving away from Sandusky and en route to Cleveland, we had stopped at a gas station in Huron.  Across the way was a little restaurant with wear and tear and a full parking lot.  While Dennis got gas, I ran across the intersection to investigate.  LEMmy's had everything I look for in a roadside diner: a restaurant full of happy people, a menu of intriguing breakfast fare, and a large sign with a lake monster.  How could I not eat there?

LEMmy’s Eatery
LEMmy’s Eatery is named after the “Lake Erie Monster” that supposedly was captured by two fishermen in 1931 and has since taken up residence in the basement of the eatery.  The legend goes that there had been several sightings of a serpent-like creature at Lake Erie.   Then, one night, the twenty foot long serpent came along the fishermen’s boat.  The two men clubbed the beast, threw him into a six foot long box, and nailed it shut.  But, since it was too dangerous to open the box and onlookers were too scared, no one ever got to see LEMmy. 

LEMmy’s Eatery features some pretty exciting menu options.  There is something called LEMmy’s Monster Mash: fried of eggs, potatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese.  They also have Sauerkraut Balls, Walleye fish, and lots of Lake Perch options. 

Given that I was in a local eatery that serves a local specialty, it seemed that it was a must to honor LEmmy by getting a dish of one of his favorite foods.  So, Dennis got the Green Dragon omelet and I had the Lake Erie Perch and Cheese omelet.
The Green Dragon was a delightful omelet of spinach, artichoke hearts, swiss cheese, and garlic.  It was green goodness that was creamy and flavorsome.  
 The Lake Erie Perch Omelet was also delicious.  I had expected flakes of fish scattered throughout the omelet, but instead it is more of an omelet/fish sandwich.  Two pieces of fried crunchy fish, which is slightly flavored with a little lemon, cradle the omelet.  Then the whole thing is topped with a slice of cheese—Kraft by my guess.  I piled mine on slices of buttered rye and chowed down like a ravenous lake monster.

My only complaint was the home fries were a little dry.  But, it seems like that home fries are a lot harder to pull off then one might think; I rarely find them to suit me. 

So thank you, food karma, for sending LEMmy’s Eatery my way.  I offer this post up in your honor.  
Lemmy's Eatery on Urbanspoon
Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

Copyright © 2011 KM Robbins. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission. All rights reserved.
Blogging tips